These are trying days in the publishing industry
. Just recently a number of Christian nonprofits
have been feeling the pinch of the economic slowdown. The retail sales situation is quite serious as we enter the holiday season. Sadly the media
has created among consumers a level of fear that seems to me to be immoral and exaggerated.
However, in these days there are a number of issues at work. Some industries are experiencing job losses, drops in the stock market, changes in consumer purchasing preferences, and declines in readership across all ages, to name just a few. One of our newest authors, Matt Bell,
has some interesting thoughts on some of these financial issues as individuals seek to find their way in these tough days.
I talked with a fellow publisher the other day who said that this economic slowdown will have a dramatic impact on the publishing business going forward. I would agree that this will be a time of change. But does it have to be panic? Or can there be an opportunity within this economic tidal wave?
Here is my appeal to my friends in the Christian publishing world.
1. Let's focus on quality not quantity. Less is more in the new economy.
2. Let's partner together from publisher to retailer. Now is the time to rethink some of our roles.
3. Let's build new alliances with authors and agents. We all have a valuable role in this work!
4. Let's remember that it is important to honor God and trust Him in these days!
5. Let's ask God for wisdom to be better at our work as a result of this crisis